As part of its statewide deer management plan, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources began local, open house meetings a couple years ago as a way to encourage conversations about deer and deer management between hunters and local wildlife managers.
Since then, most of the regional meetings have been poorly attended — many with just a few people showing up. But the DNR is going to keep trying, with the next round set for later in March.
The meetings occur twice each year. Topics for discussion include general concerns about deer, harvest data, topics for the DNR’s deer advisory committee and upcoming hunting season changes.
Upcoming meetings in Northeastern Minnesota
- March 18 in Tower — 6-8 p.m., DNR Office, 650 Highway 169.
- March 18 in Grand Rapids — 6-8 p.m., DNR Regional Office, 1201 E. Highway 2.
- March 19 in Aitkin — 9 a.m.-4 p.m., DNR office, 1200 Minnesota Ave.
- March 24 in International Falls — 6-8 p.m., DNR office, 392 E. Highway 11.
- March 24 in Two Harbors — 6-8 p.m., DNR office, 1568 Highway 2.
- March 26 in Carlton — 6-8 p.m., Carlton County Transportation Building, 1630 County Road 61.