Rustic Inn temporarily closes following kitchen fire
A restaurant in Castle Danger along the North Shore has been temporarily closed following a kitchen fire earlier this week.
"I went to unlock the back door and saw the stove was on fire," Carlson said. "From what we can tell, it was a gas leak."
Carlson immediately took action to fight the fire with an extinguisher while his co-worker called 911.
"They came right away and got it put out," Carlson said. "We couldn't be happier with the response. The fire stayed pretty small and didn't reach the roof, which we were grateful for."
Two Harbors, Lake County Rescue and Lake County Ambulance responded to the fire. Two Harbors Fire Chief Mark Schlangen said the fire was "pretty well contained."
"We're fortunate that the structure did not become involved," Schlangen said. "I think they'll have considerable cleanup to do."
Carlson estimated that the cafe would remain closed for about a month while cleaning up and replacing equipment.
"I love this place, so it's hard for this to happen," Carlson said. "But we're so thankful that it wasn't any worse and that no one was injured."