Jan. 18, 1945
Mayor will not seek re-election
Consummating 22 years of effective and wholehearted service as mayor of the City of Two Harbors, M.H. Brickley has expressed his intention of retiring from that office at the expiration of his present term on April 1, 1945.
This news will be received by citizens of the city with the deepest regret as Mr. Brickley has always had the interest of the city at heart and at all times been available for service in any organization or project for the advancement of the community and the good of his fellow man.
During his tenure of office, with the support of a loyal and efficient council, many permanent improvements have been established. We mention some of them:
Police Civil Service Commission
Paving of concrete streets and alleys (approximately 75 percent of the city)
Thomas Owens Memorial Park and city band shell
City golf course
Skating rink warming house and recreational building
WPA storm sewers, WPA water mains to Segogg addition
Resurfacing of Seventh Avenue by state
Contract furnishing electricity to rural electric project
New city coal dock
Convention of the League of Minnesota Municipalities held in the city.
Jan. 22, 1970
Over 500 see new building at open house
More than 500 persons registered and many more toured the structure during the two-day open house observance last Saturday and Sunday at Bayview Terrace, the low cost housing structure completed late last fall on First Avenue.
The crowd exceeded anticipations despite bone chilling cold during both days of the observance. The building viewers were unanimous in their praise of the building.
Residents began occupying the 60 units last November, but the official open house was delayed pending the completion of the final items of construction and equipment in the building. Members of the housing commission had worked on plans for the structure for over four years.
Coffee, cookies and breads were served in the community room of the building by members of the Golden Age club, with the ingredients donated by all local organizations.
Members of the Housing Authority which had charge of the building construction and leaders of the Society for Community Service, headed by Miss Ann Wood, were on hand both days to aid in greeting the visitors and conducting building tours.
Several persons from out of the area, including Sen. Raymond J. Higgins and Rep. James Ulland, were also on hand for the event.
The Little German Band of Two Harbors provided music during the tours on Sunday.
Robert Gow, managing director of the building, emerged from a stay in the hospital in time to take part in the official opening of the structure he had headed since its inception.