Dec. 8, 1944

James Driscoll with veteran air group

James P. Driscoll, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald D. Driscoll, Two Harbors, is chief armorer with a B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment group which has flown over 300 combat missions.

The group has bombed many of the most fiercely defended targets that the European fortress has to offer — Regnsburg, Munich, Klagenfort, Styr, Wiener Neustadt, Sofia, Toulon, Nice, Budapest, to name a few — from its beds at a southern Italian airfield.

it has been twice cited by the President of the United States for the low-level attack on the Pliesti oil fields, August 1943, which severely crippled German industry and again for its outstanding performance in the strategic support of the allied forces in the middle eastern theater of operations. It is the oldest group in the Mediterranean theater and one of the first to see service overseas.

Sgt. Driscoll, before entering the army, Jan. 27, 1942, was employed as an electric meter reader in Battle Creek, Mich.

War service fund goes over the top: Committee expresses thanks

The community saw it through and Lake County went over the top in the War Service Fund drive. To date, $3,825.25 has been turned in which more to come. It is expected by the committee that the amount will exceed $4,000 which shows that the citizens do not let down on the home front. This news will surely go a long way in heartening up the boys when they get their papers.

The committee in charge wishes to express its thanks to volunteer solicitors and citizens of the community for their splendid support in making the war service fund drive a success.

Dec. 12, 1969

Local man on South Pole trip

Construction Electrician Robert L. Hagen, USN, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Hagen of Two Harbors, is serving with Naval construction battalion unit 201.

As a member of SBU-201, he will participate in this year's Deep Freeze 1970 operation on the continent of Antarctica. His unit is scattered across the continent at five U.S. stations, building various structures, including a personnel building at the main station, a two-million gallon fuel tank and 500,000 gallon fuel tank, buildings housing American scientists, laying sewage pipes to new constructions and erecting two new buildings.

Coal boat arrived Saturday

For the first time in a number of years, a boat loaded with coal landed with a cargo of some 4,500 tons of "black gold" arrived at the once thriving coal dock on Agate Bay. It was reported that the coal was transferred to the No. 6 dock to be used to refuel steam driven ore boats as well as the Edna G. tug. A railroad drag line crane cleaned up debris from along the shore in the adjacent waters in preparation for the arrival of the boat.