Aug. 7, 1919

D.M. & I.R. Shop crafts quit work this week

Failure of the United States Railroad Administration to meet employee demands here causes walkout.

Over 500 Duluth Mesabi and Iron Range shop employees, members of the Federated Shop Crafts, walked out at 10 a.m. Monday and on Wednesday the crew employed on the coal docks did likewise, consequently the local shops and coal docks are at a standstill The ore dock employees quit work this morning.

Nearly all the crafts employed in the railroad shops in the northwest are now out to enforce a demand for a raise in wages.

The steamer Gen. Garretson, coal boat, which was being unloaded, is being held at the local docks with about half of her cargo still in her hold.

The shop men have asked for a new scale of 85 cents an hour instead of 65, the helpers demanding 50 cents instead of 45, the new scale to become retroactive to Jan. 1, 1919. The men who have walked out include blacksmiths, boilermakers, car men, machinists, electricians, dock men, and members of all affiliated crafts.

All railroad towns at the head of the lakes are affected, bringing the number of men out to about 3,400. Superior has the largest number out, there being 1,300 from the Great Northern, Lake Superior Terminal and Transfer Company and the Omaha at Itasca. Duluth has about 500 out, Proctor 1,000 and Two Harbors about 500.

It is hoped by railroad officials to have an announcement from the director general of the railroad administration which will straighten out matters between the men and their employers.

Aug. 10, 1944

Awarded Air Medal

Mrs. Nannie Hansen has received a letter from her son Sgt. Leonard Hansen dated July 19, stating that he had received the Air Medal “the other day.”

This medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the armed forces of the United States, distinguishes himself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. His achievement was made during the D-Day invasion when he landed in France.

Leonard, 28, is an air mechanic on a troop carrier plane. He was born and grew up in Two Harbors. He entered service in Oct. 1942 and his training was done in several places, including Gulfport, Miss., Detroit, Fort Wayne, Ind. in the Douglas aircraft plant in California where he learned the perfect balancing of a plane and at Warrensburg, Mo.

He had a week’s furlough from Warrensburg, then going to Maxton, N.C. where he was transferred overseas.