Oct. 24, 1918

Recovering from a shrapnel wound

Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Peterson of Silver Creek received word on Monday from their son, Ted, who is "somewhere in France," stating that he had been wounded by shrapnel and is now being cared for in a hospital in Paris. He states that he expects soon to be out again and is anxious to make another drive at the Hun. Following is the letter:

Dearest ones at home: I suppose you have been waiting to hear from me for some time. I am getting along fine and the way things look I will be home soon.

I don't suppose you knew I was at the front. I was in the trenches for some time and then went over the top in one of those drives. It sure was interesting as long as it lasted and we certainly were winning.

But on Sept. 16, I was unlucky and received a shrapnel wound in my right shoulder and neck, but not serious. I am getting along fine and dandy and expect to go back to the front in about a month and help finish it up. I am at Paris now and it sure is some city, but I am still at the hospital.

Well, how is everything in Silver Creek and at home? I hope things go well until I can come home and help. ... So here is hoping for a speedy return.

Oct. 28, 1943

Game law violators nabbed

Orville Giddings was apprehended Sunday by game wardens Emil Schaffer and Arthur Allen and arraigned before Judge Chas. Wilkinson on Monday morning. Entering a plea of guilty to a charge of illegally shooting and transporting deer out of season, he placed himself beyond the jurisdiction of the Two Harbors Municipal Court and was taken to Duluth to be sentenced in district court.

His car in which he was transporting the carcass of his trophy, as well as his gun, were confiscated. Shooting and transporting deer is a gross misdemeanor, the maximum penalty being a $1,000 fine.

Judge Bert Fesler imposed a fine of $500 and suspended $250 with the condition that should the defendant ever be brought in on a game violation charge and convicted, the $250 suspended fine will be added to the penalty of such offense.

Oscar Anderson and William Megard were also apprehended by Schaffer and Allen and brought before Judge Wilkinson, where Anderson entered a plea of not guilty to having a loaded, assembled gun in his car, and his companion entered a plea of guilty. Megard was fined $100 and costs, $75 of which was suspended, to be reinvoked the first time he is called before the court again on a game violation charge.