Weather Forecast


Lake County Past: Dec. 15


Lake County boys leave home

The second contingent of Lake County's quota of boys for the National Army left Monday, Dec. 17, 1917, on the train. The boys assembled at the courthouse at 9 o'clock and Robert J. Olsen was elected captain.

Headed by the Two Harbors Cadet band and the Two Harbors Home Guard they then marched to the depot, followed by hundreds of relatives, friends and fellow citizens. A large number had already gathered at the station and during the wait for the train the crowd became so dense that it was almost impossible to get any where or to find anyone. Hundreds crowded around the boys to have a last handshake or to bid Godspeed to some comrade or close friend, fathers and mothers, brothers, sisters and sweethearts who came to have a last word with their loved ones.

Hundreds of eyes were dimmed by tears, these were not confined to those who were bidding farewell or those who were bound to them by the ties of blood and home, but many stout-hearted men and women were seen to brush the tears from their cheeks. It was sad and yet inspiring — sad because of the serious errand on which the boys were embarking, and inspiring because of the noble cause for which these young men have been called to fight.

Counting those who had previously gone, Lake County now has nearly 150 young men representing it in some of the many branches of the service.


Rail employees press for raises

Fifteen nonoperating railroad unions are asking for advances of 20 cents an hour and minimums of 70 cents an hour for more than 90,000 members, and also demanding a closed shop for the first time.

Railroad management is preparing for the stiffest fight-out up in 20 years, but it is believed the railroad men will receive an hourly increase, at least for the duration.

Officials of the five operating brotherhoods meet in Chicago to frame their demands, covering requests for higher wages, but not for a closed shop. Too many of the engineers and conductors hold cards in the firemen and trainmen brotherhoods, for their dues and other benefit payments are smaller. If a closed shop were in effect in the operating crafts these men would have to become members of their own crafts.


Lost rooster found stuffed in culvert

The fiberglass rooster that for several years has been a landmark at the Weldon Johnson gift shop located on the western edge of Two Harbors is back again, though practically decapitated.

The fiberglass bird, whose legs left standing on the concrete base when it was taken the night of Nov. 24, 1967, was found stuffed in a culvert under U.S. Highway 61, a short distance away.

It was found by Ricky and Terry Anderson, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Raymon Anderson, who live in that area. It will be repaired.