The Two Harbors Area Chamber of Commerce presented seven awards to businesses during its annual banquet Tuesday, March 27, at Clearwater Grill in Duluth:
• Jason Vincent, owner of the Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors, was honored as the "Young Professional of the Year." Vincent purchased the Vanilla Bean in 2014 after a career in the TV news media and has since opened two new restaurants and a coffee shop in Duluth.
• Agate Electric in Two Harbors was named "Small Business of the Year." Owner Rick Osbakken founded Agate in 1999 and has consistently expanded the business. In the past few years, Agate has been contracted to do the electrical work on large projects in Duluth, including the Mills Fleet Farm and Aldi stores.
• Stanley-LaBounty was named "Large Business of the Year." The company is recognized as an industry leader in the design of hydraulic attachments and has remained active in the community, particularly through providing volunteers and materials for a number of Habitat for Humanity's "Brush with Kindness" projects in Two Harbors.
• Community Partners was honored as "Nonprofit of the Year" for its work over the past 18 years to help older adults on the North Shore live independently in their own homes for as long as possible.
• Alan Anderson received the "Volunteer of the Year" award for his work to help raise money for a new bandshell for Thomas Owens Park in Two Harbors and as director of the city band and a member of the Two Harbors Ukulele Group.
• Chad Nordean was named "Senior Student of the Year" after two years as the student representative on the Chamber board and the Two Harbors Federal Credit Union Board. Nordean was the leading scorer on the North Shore Storm hockey team and plans to attend college to train as a commercial pilot.
• Lyle Northey, former principal and superintendent of Lake Superior School District, was recognized as "Citizen of the Year." After his retirement, Northey also served as the Two Harbors mayor and has volunteered to organize bell ringers for the Salvation Army during the holiday season.