Weather Forecast


Sports Roundup: Bay beats Harbors

Shane Billings of Silver Bay battles for the puck with Austyn Wasko in Two Harbors Tuesday. The Agates lost 4-3 in overtime. Jill Innis1 / 2
Aaron Holbeck finished 26th at the Two Harbors Invitational ski meet at the Korkki Nordic Ski Center Tuesday. Jill Innis2 / 2

The Two Harbors boys hockey team lost to Silver Bay 4-3 in overtime Tuesday.

Ryan DeShaw's second goal of the game ended it at 6:47 of an overtime period on a Silver Bay power play.

"It was a good win," said Mariners head coach Shawn Bartlette. "It's nice to win a rivalry game. It's an important section game."

"I'm proud of [my players]," Agates head coach Steve Wasko said. He said the team responded well considering they were missing four players because of injuries or penalties.

Sean Graden passed the puck to DeShaw, whose shot never left the ice and found its way in through a host of bodies out front.

The lead changed three times as the Lake County rivals fought it out on the ice.

Ruslan Loeffler scored the only goal of the first for the Mariners on a power play. Mariner goalie Alex Murray made a number of point-blank saves to keep it a one score game at the end of the period. Period two saw the Agates come and take the lead on goals from Jake Homstad and Ben Ruberg. While the first period had the shots very close, the Mariners outshot the Agates 35-17 after that.

DeShaw tied the game at two at 9:29 of the final period when he waltzed in from the blue line to the high slot and put one home. Then Brad Rowlee, as the point man on a 3-0 break, gave the Mariners a 3-2 lead at 11:24 of the final period.

The Agates responded and tied it at three with 3:49 left in regulation play. Daniel Seipke tipped in an Alex Buckman shot for the first goal of the game that wasn't unassisted. The Agates were awarded a power play with 2:12 to go and couldn't capitalize on it, so it was on to overtime where DeShaw ended it with 1:13 left.

Smith finished the game with 38 saves in the Agate nets in a strong performance especially the last half of the game where he continuously stifled and frustrated the Mariners. Murray finished with 22 stops for the Mariners.

Two Harbors Nordic skiing

The Two Harbors Nordic skiing team hosted an invitational meet at the Korkki Nordic Ski Center Tuesday.

It almost didn't happen.

"Mark Helmer [of the center] worked hard to prepare the trail. After the rain last week the river that the trail crosses overflowed at the end of the course, which closed the trail down until temps got low enough Saturday night to refreeze it," said Sara Byrns, co-head coach.

More than 300 skiers from 10 Section 7 teams competed at the meet.

In the 5.5-kilometer race on the boys side, Aaron Holbeck was the top Two Harbors finisher, coming in at No. 26. Drew Christensen finished 40th, while Owen Cruikshank was 52nd, John Burns was 56th, and Dan O'Neil was 58th.

In the girls varsity race, Kiersten Haaversen finished 16th while Savannah Juenemann was 29th, and Sara Schield was 38th.

The boys team finished in eighth place while the girls didn't qualify because they didn't have enough skiers. The Silver Bay/Cook County boys team finished seventh while the girls team didn't qualify.

Two Harbors and Silver Bay/Cook County's next meet is at 10 a.m. Saturday at Giants Ridge in Biwabik.

Silver Bay girls basketball

The Silver Bay girls basketball team lost to Carlton 75-28 at home Tuesday.

The Bulldogs came out strong in the first half outscoring Silver Bay by 26, and then by 21 in the second half.

"[If there's] a little pressure we're throwing them everywhere," head coach Larry Otterblad said of the 44 turnovers against Carlton.

Alicia Nopola led the team with 19 points and six rebounds while Allana Lampton scored seven with five boards.

"We need to win here pretty soon to pick up the troops," Otterblad said.

The Mariners will host Ely at 4:15 p.m. today.

Silver Bay boys basketball

The Silver Bay boys basketball team defeated Carlton 60-40 at home Tuesday.

"It was a pretty nice transition game," said head coach Rick Frericks. He said it was one of the better games the team has played all season. "I think we're having a nice season so far. ... We've been in every game accept one."

The Mariners came out strong in the first half outscoring the Bulldogs 27-10. It was a much different second half, as the Mariners won that by three.

Kyle Blood led Silver Bay's offense with 27 points while Ryan Blood (he had two 3-pointers) pumped in 16. Luke Thun also had 13 points.

Guard Henry Mitchell has been out since football season with a broken leg, but is expected back soon.

"That is going to help us a lot," Frericks said.

Frericks said Taylor Woodwick and Mark Harris have been filling in for Mitchell and have done an excellent job.

The Mariners will host Ely at 6 p.m. today.

Girls hockey

After losing two games to ranked teams to start off the Schwan Cup tournament in Blaine, the Silver Bay Area girls hockey team found itself down 4-0 after two periods of play to Sun Prairie, Wis.

Josie Johnson scored twice early in the first period and Maddy Vincent and Janice Henderson had scored early in the second to give Sun Prairie their four goals.

The Mariners responded to a pep talk between periods and came out smoking in the final period of play. When the dust cleared it was 4-4 after regulation.

The Mariners struck first 1:30 into the period on a goal from Anna Carman set up by Shay Viola. Just over a minute later, Marina Carter scored.

Rachel Dilley, with assists from Carter and Skelton, made it a one-goal game and with 3:33 left in the period, Carter tied it at four.

After a scoreless overtime period, the game went to a shootout with three shooters per team.

Sun Prairie prevailed when the final shooter was the only one to score. The game remains a tie except for tournament purposes.

Cassie Swanson had 13 saves and Nikki Mealey added 10 in the Mariners net.

The Mariners will host Lake of the Woods at 8 p.m. today.

Two Harbors hockey

The Two Harbors hockey team won its first game of the season, topping Austin 6-2 last Wednesday at the St. Michael-Albertville Tournament. The team lost its first game of the tournament 9-4 to Sheboygan.

"I think we're getting there," said head coach Steve Wasko about the teams goals this season. "It was a good experience for us. We started scoring."

Ben Ruberg started the scoring for the Agates in the first period with a power play goal coming at 7:10. The Packers tied it up five minutes later making it 1-1 at the end of the first period.

Ruberg scored another power play goal to start off the second period before Austin tied it again. From then on, it was all Two Harbors. Alex Anderson and Alex Buckman both scored to close out the period with a 4-2 Two Harbors lead.

Cody Cavallin started the third with a goal followed by Ruberg's third power play goal of the game to cap off a five-point game for himself.

Micky Smith had 40 saves for Two Harbors.

Cambridge-Isanti defeated Two Harbors 9-4 Thursday at the tournament. The Bluejackets scored first at 6:43, which was followed by a Ruberg power play goal moments later. Cambridge-Isanti came back late in the period to take a 2-1 lead.

The Bluejackets struck first in the second period. Ruberg came back with another goal before the Bluejackets scored three straight. Garrett Aho of Two Harbors scored a power play goal to end the period with the Agates down by three.

Ruberg scored another goal in the third to complete his second hat trick of the tournament. The Bluejackets then had another three-goal set to put the Agates away.

Ruberg was named to the all-tournament team.

Smith had 53 saves in the game.

The Agates will be at Pine City at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Silver Bay hockey

After falling 1-0 to Legacy Christian in game one of the Silver Bay tournament, the Mariners split their next two contests and finished fourth out of six teams last week.

The Mariners second game was a 5-1 loss to Robbinsdale Cooper, where they actually played better than game one. Although outshot 58-13, the majority of the Mariner shots were quality scoring chances.

The lone score came on a power play when Warren Carter set up Shane Billings.

Alex Murray had a very busy night in the Mariner net as he made 53 saves in a great performance. J.J. Cruikshank had a hat trick for Cooper and Keegan Husom had 12 saves.

The final game of the tournament saw Silver Bay explode in the final period to outshoot the St. Paul Saints 15-4 and outscore them 3-1 to come away with 5-3 victory. Tyson Fultz had a hat trick and Cody Larson had three assists to lead the Mariners offense. The Mariners scored three times with an extra attacker and once while shorthanded.

Billings put the Bay up 1-0 when he and Larson attacked the net following a shot from the blue line off the stick of Ryan DeShaw. Derek Leier tied at one for the Saints before the period ended. Fultz scored a shorthanded goal on a breakaway to give the lead back to the Mariners, but once again Leier tied it up before the period ended.

After Charlie Welter put the Saints up 3-2 three minutes into the final period, it was all Bay as the Mariners went to work. Carter rifled one top shelf from the circle with assists from Larson and Sean Graden to tie it at three. Fultz tipped in a DeShaw shot for the game-winner at 9:02 and scored an empty-net goal with 18 seconds left to play.

The final order of finish in the tournament, top to bottom, was Moose Lake, Legacy Christian ,Cooper, Silver Bay, the St. Paul Saints, and Ely.

The Mariners will be at Greenway at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Two Harbors boys basketball

The Two Harbors boys basketball team lost in McGregor 87-50 Tuesday. The Agates will host Lakeview Christian Academy at 7:30 p.m. today.