Applicants sought for $20,000 Alworth scholarship
Lake County high school graduates pursuing mathematics or science majors in college may be eligible to apply for a $20,000 scholarship.
At any given time, nearly 240 students are making their way through college using Marshall H. and Nellie Alworth Memorial Fund scholarships ($1.2 million in the current academic year). Applicants have a 1 in 3 chance of being awarded the scholarship.
Next spring, the Foundation will celebrate a total of $50 million invested in the education and lives of more than 5,000 northeast Minnesota students.
To be considered for an Alworth Scholarship, applicants must:
• Be a U.S citizen;
• Graduate from Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Lake, Itasca, Koochiching or St. Louis county;
• Commit to major in a math- or science-based field of study;
• Have a composite score of 25 or higher on the ACT;
• Have a minimum high school cumulative GPA of 3.5; and
• Be from a family whose taxable income is less than $120,000.
Online applications are now being accepted until Jan. 15. The application takes about two hours to complete. More information is available at alworthscholarship.org.