Weather Forecast


Ask a Trooper: Farm plates and open bottle questions

Sgt. Curt S. Mowers of the Minnesota State Patrol

Question: I have a one ton pickup that I use on my farm. I was thinking of hooking up my fifth-wheel camper and heading out to Arizona, but a friend told me I would get a ticket for pulling my camper with a pickup that had farm plates on it. Is that correct?

Answer: Yes, that is correct. That would be a violation and you would receive a ticket. Being that it is an illegal use of farm plates and registration, you could also be subject to having the vehicle towed and put in impound until you put the proper registration on it.

Question: Winter is over (thankfully), but can a person have an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle on a frozen lake or river?

Answer: According to Minnesota Statute 169A.35 Subd. 2, Drinking and consumption; crime described: “It is a crime for a person to drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, distilled spirit, or 3.2 percent malt liquor in a motor vehicle when the vehicle is upon a street or highway.” So as I read it, yes you can. But as we always say, if you plan on drinking, be responsible - plan ahead for a sober ride.

LaReesa Sandretsky
LaReesa Sandretsky is a Two Harbors High School graduate and Duluth native who began working at the News-Chronicle in 2012 as a reporter. She took over as editor in 2014. She covers County Board, including the Lake County broadband project.
(218) 834-2141