Where to find color on trails
Each fall, the Superior Hiking Trail folks recommend several fall-color hikes along the trail, which runs through Duluth and from near Two Harbors to the Canadian border. Some of the hikes are geared to the peak maple colors, some to birches and aspen. For more information, go to www.shta.org.
Highland North Shore areas peaked in the past week, so areas closer to Lake Superior or nearer Duluth may be good places to go.
Here are the recommendations, put together by Gayle Coyer, executive director of the Superior Hiking Trail Association:
For maple viewing
- In Duluth from the 123rd Avenue West Trailhead parking lot to Ely's Peak and back, 1.8 miles total.
- West of Two Harbors from Rossini Road/East Trailhead to Lake County Demonstration Forest Trailhead, 6.9 miles one way.
- Bean and Bear Lake Loop, 6.8 miles total, Penn Boulevard Trailhead, Silver Bay.
- From Finland Recreation Center Trailhead to scenic Egge Lake and back, 4.6 miles total, Finland.
- Leveaux Mountain Loop, 3.7 miles total, and the Oberg Mountain Loop, 2.3 miles total, both with dramatic overlooks of maple forests, both from the Oberg Mountain Trailhead north of Tofte.
- Take the Lutsen gondola to the top of Moose Mountain, see the colors from the top of the mountain and take the 0.8 SHT spur trail and then the 2.7-mile main trail back to the chalet for a total hike of 3.5 miles.
- Hike out and back from the Cook County Road 1 trailhead to Tower Overlook, 3.0 miles total, Schroeder.
For aspen and birch viewing
The next peak is now for aspen and birch leaves and their bright yellows. Good places to experience them are:
- Caribou Falls viewing platform and back, 1.8 miles total, start from Caribou River Wayside south of Schroeder.
- Temperance River State Park to Britton Peak, 4.8 miles one way (use the shuttle) or do an out and back hike from the Britton Peak trailhead parking lot to Carlton Peak and back, 4.4 miles total.
- Hike in to the new A-frame bridge over Dyers Creek and back from the Cook County Road 1 Trailhead, 2.2 miles total, Schroeder.