Lake County Past: July 25
Business is booming in Knife River
Three Knife River businesses have changed hands recently. This means changes for Knife River residents and tourists alike. Those changes aren’t as widespread as from railroad logging boomtown in the late 1800s and early 1900s to the abandonment of the D&NM Railroad in 1920.
Those businesses are Helen Meriam’s Campground sold to Annamarie Peterson of Two Harbors; Erickson’s Resort purchased from Hans and Jackie Ojard by Dick and Kathy Johnson; and Ron and Delores Johnson sold their Jackson Store to Stephen and Carol Carlson.
New housing venture at Finland
A new concept in family housing was unveiled at Finland Air Force Station. 18 relocatable homes opened for occupancy by Air Force NCO’s and airmen stationed at Finland.
The homes manufactured in Grand Rapids, Mich., were shipped to Finland via boat, rail and finally truck. After the arrival they were unfolded into spacious and complete quarters totaling 1170 square feet of living space. The cost per unit including onsite development, sewage, water, etc., is $15,500.
New fog record is hung here
People, who think they cannot endure the sound of the fog signal in connection with the United States lighthouse service in Two Harbors, will be interested to know that they have endured it during June, save six days, and every day in July, save one.
The total number of hours the signal was in operation in June was 162, compared with 113 hours in June of 1938. The total number of hours blown in July so far is 100 hours.
Keeper L.T. Peterson of the Two Harbors light, declares he cannot recollect during his 28 years of service a record which will meet that of the past 40 days. The Two Harbors horn blows on three-second blast, and interval of 2 seconds; and a one second blast. The diaphragm which produces the raucous sound operates at 40 pounds of pressure and is controlled by electricity.
CCC enrolls 13 youths
Thirteen local boys were enrolled in the Civilian Conservation corps by Miss Agnes Hoff, executive secretary of the Lake County Welfare board, and turned over to headquarters at Gooseberry camp.