Weather Forecast


How to help in wake of flooding

For people looking for ways to help, here are other groups accepting donations and volunteers:

  • United Way of Greater Duluth: To help with recovery efforts within the city or surrounding area or assist with the rehabilitation of parks and trails, go to and click on "Declaration of Emergency - City of Duluth Flood Emergency Information" or go to and click on "give help." This is a centralized volunteer registration database that will match availability with areas that need help.
  • United Way of Greater Duluth will serve as the fiscal host for the Twin Ports Region Long-Term Flood Recovery Fund to support victims of the recent flooding with long-term unmet needs. You can contribute to the fund at the following locations: M&I Banks in Duluth and Superior and all US Bank locations. Funds contributed by check can be mailed to one of the following: United Way of Greater Duluth, 424 W. Superior St., Suite 402, Duluth, MN 55802; United Way of Carlton County, P.O. Box 250, Cloquet, MN 55720; or United Way of Superior Douglas County, 1507 Tower Ave., Suite 215, Superior, WI 54880.

    Checks can be made to United Way, but please make a note in your memo that the money is for Flood Relief.

  • KUMD and UMD "Stuff the Truck": Collecting donations of nonperishable food, hygiene products and cash donations from 8 .am. to 6 p.m. today through Friday at KUMD on the UMD campus, 130 Humanities, next to Weber Hall, and from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Twin Ports Bridge Festival at Bayfront Festival Park. The first 500 cash donations of $10 or more will receive a KUMD Session CD as a thank-you gift. All donations will go to the United Way Long-Term Flood Recovery Fund, and the Salvation Army will distribute the donations to those in need.
  • Duluth Parks and Recreation: Parks and trails in the area will be relying partly on volunteers to clean up after the flooding. To help clean up Duluth city parks and trails, contact Cheryl Skafte at (218) 730-4334 or More information on the cleanup is available on the city's website.
  • Chester Bowl Improvement Club: For information on cleaning up damage at Chester Bowl, call (218) 724-9832.
  • Superior Hiking Trail: Volunteers will be needed to assess trail conditions and help replace bridges. To volunteer, call (218) 834-2700 or e-mail
  • Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores: To help with trail work on Duluth's mountain-biking trails, go to and check the message board for upcoming trail work dates and locations.
  • Minnesota Ballet: The ballet is estimating that 90 percent of its sets and hand-painted backdrops were damaged when a storage facility flooded. Donations can be made to Minnesota Ballet, 301 W. First St. #800, Duluth, MN 55802, online at or by calling (218) 529-3742.
  • Red Cross: The city of Duluth is directing donations to the Red Cross at or (800) 733-2767. Donors also can text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation or send checks to the Northland Chapter of the American Red Cross at 2524 Maple Grove Road, Duluth, MN 55811.
  • Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota: Collecting donations to help with flood-recovery efforts in Duluth and other communities. It also has made available its Camp Noah program, which is designed to help children recover emotionally from natural disasters. Go to or mail contributions to Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, SDS 12-2054, P.O. Box 86, St. Paul, MN 55486. Put "Duluth disaster response" on the memo line.
  • Carlton County: A center to coordinate volunteers and donations is operating at the Cloquet National Guard Armory. The center is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Contact: (218) 384-1112. Wells Fargo Bank is accepting tax-deductible donations at all of its branches nationwide to the Carlton County Flood Relief Fund.

  • Advertisement