Weather Forecast


Fire destroys Brimson home

A fire driven by strong winds destroyed a home in rural St. Louis County Monday night, Brimson Fire Department Chief Paul Tine said Wednesday.

The one-story home, about two miles north of Hugo’s Bar in Brimson and 30 miles northeast of Duluth, was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived just after 11 p.m. A woman who lived in the home was able to escape with slight burns on her feet. A dog also survived but the woman’s cats likely did not, Tine said.

Brimson firefighters were assisted by the Pequaywan department, Cooperative Light and Power and the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office.

“The wind made it really difficult,” Tine said.

Gust of more than 50 mph had been reported in the area earlier in the day. According the the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office, the fire is believed to have started in a wood-burning stove. 

“She lost everything,” he said.

Jody Hepola of Hugo’s Bar in Brimson said her business is working on organizing a benefit for the woman which will take place on June 7. It will include a silent auction and spaghetti dinner.

“I’ve gotten lots of phone calls and messages from people wanting to help out. The support has been wonderful,” Hepola said.

Hepola said the woman is maintaining a positive outlook despite the losses.

“She’s doing as good as can be expected,” Hepola said. “She’s a really positive person.”

Anyone interested in helping out can contact Hugo’s by calling (218) 848-2220 or via their Facebook page,