Lake County Past: Dec. 29
Selective Service will reclassify
Local draft boards have been instructed to reclassify essential workers on essential farms into 2-C and 3-C deferred classifications, the Office of War Information in Washington, D.C. announced this week on the basis of information of the War Manpower commission and the army and navy departments.
Answering other questions commonly asked about the operations of Selective Service, the OWI released the following information:
The 18- and 19-year-olds, who registered recently, will be called into service starting in January, and will be called in the order of their dates of birth, with the registrants being called first.
As a general rule 18- and 19-year-olds will be called before married men, but the 18- and 19-year-olds will not entirely fill the quotas for the early months of 1943.
Married men are being called now in some state and will be called generally before many months. On the other hand, married men with dependent children are not being called as a general rule.
Dependency is still a factor in Selective Service classification and 3-A will be continued. Single men with dependents will be called first when it becomes necessary to dip into the dependency (3-A) groups, then married men with a wife only — and married men with a wife and child or children, or children only — but men with dependents who are not in essential industries or agriculture will be called ahead of other men with dependents.
Plans for senior-assisted living
Lake View Hospital Director Mike Walke came before the Two Harbors City Council on Monday, Dec. 21, 1993, to provide an update on plans for a senior-assisted living facility in the city.
While still in the investigation phase, Walke asked for the city's help in locating a piece of available municipal property and to also help approve the hospital's need to make the project a nonprofit venture. Walke explained he is currently applying for nonprofit status for the project through the state and said the non-homestead property taxes could make the idea prohibitive if the nonprofit status is not approved.
The hospital is looking at a piece of city-owned land along Highway 2 near the old Contel building.
Walke said the plans call for a duplex-type facility that could house eight to 10 seniors in private rooms. He explained the state has been pushing for more assisted living in communities and this trend toward more home care. He explained in many cases home care is expensive for people who need around the clock care and senior housing could provide a way share in costs of care.
Walke said previously planned congregate housing plans were too expensive to build and the duplexes might be a much more affordable way to help seniors with their care.
He said the hospital would need a legal description of the property by mid-February to complete the nonprofit application for the project.